Meeting of the BRICS High Representatives Responsible for National Security
The BRICS High Representatives responsible for security held their sixth meeting at New Delhi on Thursday, 15 September 2016. Shri Ajit Doval, National Security Adviser, Government of the Republic of India presided over the meeting.
- The delegation from Brazil was led by H.E. General Sergio Westphalen Etchegoyen, Minister of State, Head of the Cabinet for Institutional Security of the Presidency of the Republic of Brazil, Russia by H.E. Mr. Nikolai P. Patrushev, Secretary of the Security Council of the Russian Federation, China by H.E. Mr. Yang Jiechi, State Councilor, People’s Republic of China, and South Africa by H.E. Mr. Mbangiseni David Mahlobo, Minister of State Security.
- Acknowledging the positive contribution of the BRICS grouping on important global issues, they deliberated on security issues such as Counter Terrorism, Cyber Security and Energy Security. They also exchanged assessments of recent developments in the West Asia and North Africa (WANA) region.
- In the area of Cyber Security/Information Security they agreed to strengthen joint efforts on enhancing cyber security by sharing of information and best practices, combating cyber-crimes, improving cooperation between technical and law enforcement agencies including joint cyber security R&D and capacity building.
- The High Representatives encouraged cooperation and exchanging of best practices, expertise, information and knowledge on Counter Terrorism issues. In this context, they welcomed the first meeting of the BRICS Working Group on Counter Terrorism that was held a day before. They also agreed to expand BRICS Counter Terrorism cooperation further to include measures for denying terrorists access to finance and terror-hardware such as equipment, arms and ammunition. They underscored the need for a global legal regime to deal with the global menace of terrorism.
- They also agreed to explore regular energy dialogue between BRICS countries in order to discuss long-term and medium-term energy security issues.
- While highlighting the need for resolution of outstanding disputes in the WANA region through dialogue peaceful means and in accordance with international law and the principles of the UN charter, BRICS High Representatives also agreed to pool BRICS’ efforts to counter terrorism and violent extremism emanating from the region.
- The High Representatives concurred on a BRICS Forum to progressively consolidate cooperation and exchanges among respective agencies in security related fields.
- NSA Shri Ajit Doval expressed his gratitude to his counterparts from BRICS countries for their active participation and contributions in making the meeting successful.