Farmland Partners With Royals Legend Mike Sweeney to Host “Bacon Day at the K” on Sept. 3, 2016
In Celebration of International Bacon Day, Farmland Helps Fans Bring Home the Bacon
KANSAS CITY, Mo., Aug. 29, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- To celebrate International Bacon Day on Saturday, Sept. 3, Farmland, a brand of Smithfield Foods, is partnering with Royals Hall of Fame member Mike Sweeney to host “Bacon Day at the K” at Kauffman Stadium as the Kansas City Royals host the Detroit Tigers. Along with giving fans the chance to meet with the Royals legend, Farmland will take over Kauffman Stadium with a Sluggerrr bacon sculpture, bacon baseball trivia, extreme bacon recipes, free samples, a Salvador Perez bobblehead giveaway and more. Plus, a few lucky fans will get to “bring home the bacon” and win a year supply of free Farmland bacon.
/EIN News/ -- “At Farmland, International Bacon Day is one of the most exciting days of the year,” said Diana Souder, director of public relations for Smithfield Foods. “We know how passionate Kansas City locals are about food and baseball, so we’re happy to unite them both and celebrate our favorite holiday with the Royals at The K.”
“The only thing that makes a Royals game even more exciting to watch is having my favorite foods to snack on while I cheer on the team,” said Mike Sweeney. “It’s no secret that I love bacon almost as much as I love being back at The K, so I can’t wait to kick off ‘Bacon Day at the K’ with Farmland this weekend.”
To commemorate this momentous occasion, Farmland will “bacon-ize” Kauffman Stadium with the following activations for game-day attendees:
- Meet Royals Royalty, Hall of Famer Mike Sweeney: Before he throws out the ceremonial first pitch, fans can meet five-time All-Star and the 26th member of the Royals Hall of Fame, Mike Sweeney. (Outfield Experience, Bottom of the 3rd Inning)
- Sluggerrr Bacon Sculpture: While waiting to meet with the Royals star, attendees can pose with a Sluggerrr sculpture made entirely of Farmland bacon. The lucky fan who can correctly guess how many strips make up the sculpture will “bring home the bacon” with a year supply of Farmland bacon. They will also win a Farmland VIP treatment, complete with complimentary bacon-centric bites and delicious libations at the the exclusive Farmland “Bacon Day at the K” stadium headquarters with Sweeney. (Outfield Concourse)
- Sizzle-n-Snap Farmland Bacon Photo Booth: If a photo with the bacon Sluggerrr sculpture is not enough, fans can profess their love of bacon to the world at the Farmland photo booth, complete with bacon props and social media sharing capabilities. (Outfield Experience)
- Extreme Ba-Concessions & Giveaways: Farmland is taking its game day grub to the next level with limited time only extreme bacon recipes available at the Farmland Grill. Fans will also enjoy free samples Farmland crispy and chewy bacon upon entering the stadium as well as a Salvador Perez bobblehead and bacon-themed rally signs.
- Bring Home the Bacon: In addition to half of the evening’s net proceeds, the Royals Charities 50/50 Raffle winner will take home a year supply of free Farmland bacon. The other half will be donated to Harvesters – The Community Food Network. Farmland will also match the raffle proceeds by donating up to 25,000 pounds of protein to the local food bank. Raffle tickets will sell from the time stadium gates open until the end of the sixth inning.
To buy Kansas City Royals vs. Detroit Tiger tickets and experience Farmland “Bacon Day at the K” on Sept. 3, visit http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/ticketing.
Founded in 1959, Farmland is a maker of high-quality, popular consumer goods such as bacon and sausage, and serves retail and foodservice customers. To learn more about Farmland, please visit www.FarmlandFoods.com. Farmland is a brand of Smithfield Foods.
About Smithfield Foods
Smithfield Foods is a $14 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan's Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, John Morrell®, Cook's®, Kretschmar®, Gwaltney®, Curly's®, Margherita®, Carando®, Healthy Ones®, Krakus®, Morliny®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com.
About the Royals
The Kansas City Royals are a professional baseball team based in Kansas City, Mo., and compete in Major League Baseball as part of the American League Central Division. The Royals are two-time World Series Champions (1985, 2015) and have won the American League Pennant four times (1980, 1985, 2014, 2015) in their 47-year history. The club plays its home games at Kauffman Stadium, which opened in 1973 and had a major renovation completed in 2009. The stadium has hosted two All-Star Games, including most recently in 2012. The Royals joined the Major Leagues as an expansion franchise in 1969.
Media Contacts: Hunter PR for Farmland Michael Bernardini (212) 679-6600 firstname.lastname@example.org Royals Toby Cook (816) 504-4715 email@example.com